
Evangelical Methodist Church
of Parma – Mezzani
President: Roberto Loraschi
329 0117102
lorarobby@gmail.com
Pastor: Nicola Tedoldi
335 7518768
ntedoldi@chiesavaldese.org
The Protestant presence in Parma dates back to long before the establishment of the Methodist community, as can be deduced from the creation of the Villetta cemetery. The existence of an external section, half of which was intended for the Jewish community and the other half for Protestants, testifies to the fact that Evangelicals had been known and present in the city for some time, even if they were not united in a community. They continued to appear in the city throughout the 19th century, but there are no known documents providing precise information on the beginnings of the Methodist community. In February 1862, while still residing in Ivrea, the English missionary Henry James Piggott began to travel. First to Modena to meet a young Italian, Vincenzo Del Mondo, who had studied as a lay preacher with the missionary Richard Green. Piggott met Del Mondo again in Parma while he was in negotiations with a wealthy liberal to rent what was once a Catholic church dedicated to San Salvatore, the upper floor of which was empty and had been offered for Protestant worship.
The premises, immediately deemed suitable, were rented. Here, the Methodist group of Parma became an officially established church on March 8, 1863, under the care of Vincenzo Del Mondo. At the time of its founding, it had 56 members, including brothers and sisters, and 23 catechumens, who were subsequently admitted as full members between May and December 1864. The first baptism was celebrated on April 21 of the same year, not in Parma, but in Piacenza, in the home of the newborn, while in the church of Parma it was celebrated on October 26. The first wedding, on the other hand, was celebrated on December 13, 1863, uniting two widowers. Henry James Piggot had the joy of seeing the entire building become the property of the church in 1907, and it still houses the community for worship (every Sunday at 10:30 a.m.) and ecclesiastical activities. On December 8, 1928, a Balbiani organ of great artistic value was installed in the church and is still used today to accompany singing during Sunday liturgy and for concerts.
Headquarters
Borgo G. Tommasini, 26/A
43121 Parma PR
Orario apertura:
Domenica ore 10:30
Via A. Mosconi, 1
43055 Mezzani Inferiore PR
Orario apertura:
Domenica ore 10:30
